Historical Issues-Analysis and Decision-Making
Historical Thinking Standard Five & Alignment to the Common Core
|Historical Thinking Standard||
Common Core Standards
*RI=Reading Informational Text
Standard Five: Historical Issues-Analysis and Decision-Making
- Identify issues and problems in the past and analyze the interests, values, perspectives, and points of view of those involved in the situation.
- Marshal evidence of antecedent circumstances and contemporary factors contributing to problems and alternative courses action*
- Identify relevant alternative course of action, keeping in mind the information available at the time, in terms of ethical considerations, the interests of those affected by the decision, and the long- and short-term consequences of each.
- Formulate a position or course of action on an issue by identifying the nature of the problem, analyzing the underlying factors contributing to the problem, and choosing a plausible solution from a choice of carefully evaluated options.
- Evaluate the implementation of a decision by analyzing the interests it served; estimating the position, power, and priority of each player involved; assessing the ethical dimensions of the decision; and evaluating its costs and benefits from a variety of perspectives.
Key Ideas and Detalis
11-12.3 Evaluate various explanations for actions or events and determine which explanation best accords with textual evidence, acknowledging where the text leaves matters uncertain.